Saturday, August 3, 2013

WAIT!!

My husband and I are in a season of waiting. It is amazing the emotions we go through waiting...waiting to see what's going to happen...waiting for relief from the worry...waiting and anticipating every possible scenario. Waiting.

Recently I was reading the book, Waiting On God by various authors. While reading a chapter written by John Ortberg, I learned that 43 times in the Old Testament, God's people are told to wait on the Lord. Then I read the following: "What God does in us while we wait is as important as what it is we're waiting for." This really got me thinking. During this waiting, God is shaping us and molding us to be more like Him. Though it may be painful, wonderful things are happening inside of us. Rough edges are being smoothed, weak spots are being strengthened, bad attitudes are being confronted. The longer we wait, the greater the work being done.

I am a chaplain at a local hospital. I have observed the dying process many, many times. I have watched families wait at the bedside of their loved one as their life slowly slips away. Sometimes, this process can take days even though it may have been expected much sooner. But, during that waiting, I can't help but believe that God is working with that person. I believe that during that process, the person is more alive spiritually than physically and work is being done. Maybe they are wrestling with God. Maybe they are working through a struggle before they can release. I truly don't know but I do believe God is at work.

The next time you find yourself in a situation where you are waiting on God...don't fight it, don't try to rush through it, just let God do His greatest work. Embrace the time!!

...but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that you had a new blog!
    I really, really appreciate this post. I've never really thought much about the waiting. I know that God's timing is perfect, but I never thought about all that He is doing during that time.
    Thanks, Friend!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete