Saturday, June 22, 2013

A God-Given Solution to Worry

Recently, I met a gentleman as I was doing my chaplain rounds at the hospital. He had blood clots in his leg and a serious heart problem. Most people I meet in a situation like this are understandably worried, but not this guy. He had an amazing faith in God that was contagious and inspiring. He said that he knew if he died from this, he would be able to go home to his King; and if he lived through it, God would use it to His glory. Either way, it was a win, win situation.

This morning as I was having my coffee with Jesus, I came across this passage in Matthew chapter 6...
"This is why I tell you: Don't worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing?" (Matthew 6:25)

If you're at all like me, you read this and think, "Okay...I'm going to just stop worrying...NOW!" Then after awhile, you're saying, "Oh my gosh...I'm worrying again. God's not going to be happy with me..." You get the idea. But God did not leave this up to our own will. He gave us a very simple and clear solution...
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you." (Matthew 6:33)
I know from my own experience, that when I focus on the worries of this life, they grow in size in my mind and I can see nothing else. But, if I focus on God through prayer, study, reading His word, and seeking His glorious face in all I do; then I am able to walk in peace and the worries go into the backseat where they belong. It has to be very intentional sometimes but once I get my focus on God, it gets easier and easier to find rest.

 
"Don't worry; Be happy"

 

 

1 comment: